Just a while ago, we traveled to New Haven, US. The hotel which we stayed always had some ginger cookies displayed in a glass jar on the counter. It is free and my little ones love 'em! They would jump up and down and unanimously asked for the cookies whenever we passed by the counter. It became an habit, day by day, night by night... until the staff could even recognize those cookies monsters of mine!
- 170g plain flour, sifted
- 150g soft dark brown sugar
- 1/2 level tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 70g butter, soften
- 2.5 tbsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp allspice
- 40g egg, beaten
- Mix all ingredients (except egg) together.
- Add egg bit by bit to make a stiff consistency.
Roll out to an inch size.
- Bake in preheated oven at 180C (350F) for 12 minutes, then gently flatten the cookies with a spoon and continue to bake for another 5 minutes.