If you always like to try making new dishes, you will soon realised that your pantry is filled with many ingredients that you had probably only used once or twice. Then, taking a look at the expiry date and with a cold sweat, you notice that it is approaching the end of its lifetime! Next, you will either put it back and let it rot on its own, or quickly sift through your recipe books to find a way to finish them up real quick!
This is happening to me now, having some leftover roasted chestnut from making dumpling (my last minute decision that left me with no more dried chestnut), I decided to add them to my braised chicken instead. Afterall, we seldom snack on chestnut and good food shouldn't go waste.
I am surprised at how it turned up. This simple dish is amazingly delicious and easy to make. It was a hit in my family and even my girl who usually couldn't finish the meat in her bowl requested for double portion of this chicken! Try this and I hope you will enjoy it too!
Braised Chicken with Chestnut
- 2 tbsp oil
- 5 cloves garlic, chopped
- 5 shallot, sliced
- 5 slices ginger
- 1/2 chicken
- 60g chestnut (I used roasted chestnut)
- 1 carrot
- 8 shitake mushroom
- 1 tbsp oyster sauce
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp Shao Xing Wine / cooking wine
- 2 tbsp ABC Kicap Manis
- 1/8 tsp 5-spice powder
- 1 cup water
- In a frying pan, heat up oil and stir fry garlic, shallot and ginger until fragrant.
- Add in ingredients B and stir fry for a minute (if using roasted chestnut, you may add in later).
- Add in ingredients C and stir fry for another 3-5 minutes.
- Add water and cook until the sauce thicken.
- 60克板栗 (我用包装烤过的板栗）
- 加入材料B翻炒一分钟 (如果使用烤过的板栗，可以在最后的步骤才加入）。