I had always wondered how does a hole magically appeared in a bun. I thought of applying some butter inside, or playing cheat by cutting a hole inside, ends up, those were all wrong. With the oven temperature high enough, and you will be able to watch that pita bread puff up inside the oven like a puffer fish!
With its signature 'pocket', you can stuff whatever you like inside and that is a delicious pocket meal you will have! Amongst all, my favourite is to eat it with Shakshuka, a dish originated from Tunisia and Israel that is packed with the goodness from tomatoes, lightly spiced just enough to deepen its flavor, and with few eggs cracked on top cooked to its perfection rendering the yolk still partially runny!
- 60g bread flour
- 1/4 tsp instant yeast
- 35g water
- 200g bread flour
- 10g sugar
- 4g salt
- 10g oil
- 120g water
- 1/2 tsp instant yeast
- Mix the ingredients for sponge dough until form a ball.
- Let it proof for 2 hours.
- Mix all ingredients for main dough into the sponge dough, knead well.
- Let it proof for 1 hour.
- Divide the dough to 6 equal portions, roll flat to around 3mm thickness.
- Let the dough rise for another 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 220C (it will take around 15 minutes)/
- Bake the dough in preheated oven for 6-8 minutes until puff up.
Tips: Heat up the oven in between bake to make sure that the oven is hot enough.