I had been sick for the past few days, sore throat, runny nose, heavy headed...look like it is the flu season again. Many said that it is not good to have spicy food (heaty) when you get sore throat, but I, for one, would not mind eating spicy even though my throat so sore that I lost my voice. Of course, that is not advisable.
This is one of my favorite spicy food - sambal stingray. If you have a bbq pit, you could make bbq sambal stingray. As for me, I used my little toaster. I have to say it did a decent job too, although certainly not as good as a truely barbequed one.
This sambal kept well in fridge for a week or 2. I usually make more so that I could always make a quick meal with it.
Just in case if you wonder, my voice did become deeper and sexier the next day.
BBQ Sambal Stingray
- 300-400g stingray
- 40g tamarind paste, mashed in 1 cup water, seed removed
- 1 tbsp dark brown sugar
- 4 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 banana leaf and 2 toothpicks
- 30g dried shrimp, washed, blended and stir fried until fragrant (optional, it will be quite salty if you add)
- 1 banana leaf (substitute: aluminium foil)
- 8 shallots
- 4 garlic
- 1 inch ginger
- 2 stalks lemongrass
- 15g belacan, roasted
- 25g dried chillies, soaked and deseeded
- 2 calamansi
- 1 shallot, sliced
- Grind the spice paste.
- Heat 4 tablespoon of oil, stir fry spice paste until fragrant.
- Add tamarind water, sugar, dried shrimp, and simmer until sauce thicken.
- Soften the banana leaf with hot water.
- Spoon half of the paste on banana leaf, lay fish on top, and then the other half of the paste.
- Wrap the fish with banana leaf and secure with toothpick.
- Baked in the preheated oven at 190 degree celsius for 10-15 minutes, then open up the banana leaf and bake for another 10 minutes (watch out not to burn the spice paste. Timing may vary depending on the thickness of the fish).
- 300-400克 魔鬼鱼
- 40克 罗望子膏，加水1杯，除去种子
- 1汤匙 赤糖
- 4汤匙 植物油
- 1叶 香蕉叶和2支牙签
- 30克 虾米，洗净捣烂，煸炒爆香（选择性,加了口味偏咸）
- 8粒 葱头子
- 4粒 大蒜
- 1寸 姜
- 2根 香茅
- 15克 马来栈，烤／炒香
- 25克 干辣椒，泡软和去籽
- 2粒 酸柑
- 1粒 葱头子，切片