It was a hazy morning again, we needed something fast as our guest was heading to the airport in the morning. Ermm... chicken pot pie, fast? Just wait until I go through the preparation steps with you. I bet the longest time taken was chopping the onion... while wiping off tears of course.
I love this pot pie for 3 reasons - its taste, ease of preparation, and a combination of crunchy and creamy texture. Cutting through the puffy, flaky pastry, dipping it into the creamy filling, savouring the succulent chicken... Oh I am salivating already! So soothing but beware, it's very hot!
I still have some Alce Nero Organic Pesto with Zucchini leftover from making meatball. A jar of it comes in handy to kick any dishes up a notch. I have no doubt it will make my pot pie shine, and indeed it did! The pesto is made with 65% zucchini, sunflower oil, extra virgin olive oil, parmigiano reggiano cheese, parsley... All ingredients are organic, no junk at all. As most of us already know, organic food is grown naturally and is free from the harmful substances of pesticides, herbicides or chemical fertilisers. We all want the best for our family, especially when it comes to eating. We want our food to nourish our body instead of ruining it, therefore I try to choose organic whenever we can afford.
All right, I know you must be hungry now, lets start with the cooking (the puff pastry is not in the picture, I used Borgcraft Puff Pastry)!
Melt butter and saute onion until onion turn translucent.
Add flour and stir to dissolve.
Add cream, Alce Nero Organic Pesto with Zucchini, salt and thyme (if using).
Cut the puff pastry sheet, ladle in pesto chicken mixture into remekins and lay the puff pastry on top as shown in the picture. Now you can send them in to the oven!
This post is made possible by great teams from Alce Nero and Singapore Home Cook.
- 80g butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1 cup mixed frozen vegetables
- 4 button mushroom, sliced
- 200g boneless chicken thigh, cut into small cubes
- 4 tbsp cream
- 3 heaping tbsp Alce Nero Organic Pesto with Zucchini
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp dried thyme (optional)
- 1 puff pastry (9" x 9")
- 1 egg, beaten
- In a pot, melt butter.
- Add in onion and saute until translucent, around 5 minutes.
- Add in flour and stir until dissolved.
- Add in B and mix.
- Add in C, bring to boil and let it simmer for around 3 minutes.
- Fill in to 4 remekins.
- Cut puff pastry sheet into 4 pieces.
- Brush egg wash on the rim of remekins and place a piece of puff pastry on top.
- Poke some holes with fork.
- Egg wash the puff pastry.
- Bake in preheated oven at 200C for 15 minutes or until the pastry turn nicely brown.
- Make sure you are a member of Singapore Home Cooks 新加坡家庭美食分享 (a Facebook closed group). If not, join now!
- Like and Share this post (please share in public so that I can see it! You must be a member of Singapore Home Cooks 新加坡家庭美食分享 first before you can see this post)